Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Signed William Moninet - Clown - Oil Painting


My first art purchased on August 1, 2012



This is my first time buying art!

I was hanging around at the thrift shop by myself and had absolutely no intention of buying an art piece home. Suddenly a white face clown has caught my eye with half of the painting was buried. I know it was love at first sight for this piece although I can't see the whole! I immediately called my husband and told him how amazing that I just experienced a connection with a clown painting! but I know he always feel clowns are creepy and scary, so I left the shop and decided to go home.

After a while searching on Google by typing "Clown oil painting" - a few similar pieces had caught my attention and the signature is very familiar to me... I dropped down the artist name wishing the painting will not be gone because I am going to bring it home!

I returned to the thrift shop again, this time I had my colleague accompany with me and it was shocked at first that I couldn't find it from the same spot yesterday! So upset that I walked to the very end to see if it was buried somewhere. Luckily, it was left on the floor between a coach and a metal bed-back. (I believe if I were not there yesterday it won't be able to know that was exited!) I paid immediately after recognizing the signature is the same as what I saw on Google, bring it with me and running home in rain.

My gut feeling is right - it is not creepy at all  and I absolutely know it is very special to me.

You may find how amazing the artist worked with the emotion in the clowns eyes compare to the joy on their faces:

Goofy red smile with orange hair and green hat



A pair sadness eyes with pink hair and blue hat



Signed by William Moninet (1937 - 1999)



William Moninet was an American impressionist artist who was born in Louisiana in 1937 and passed way in 1999. While most known for his oil paintings of clowns, he was also proficient watercolourist. His artworks are painted in soft tones and light background and using a full texture. He painted large number of paintings during 80's in the later stage of his life.  


12" x 24" Opening
Oil Painting on Canvas, signed


Artist Biography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Denis_Rubenstain

7 comments:

  1. I picked up a couple Moninet clown paintings at the local thrift shop as well a couple years ago. I happened to be working there at the time and seen them out on display. I wasn't familiar with the artist's name but knew whoever painted them had some pretty good skill so I was happy to buy both of them. You're spot on noticing the emotion emitting from their faces! Mr. Moninet was very good at capturing the spirit and motif of what I feel being a clown would be like. I'm soo glad to have purchased them, soo happy that I seen your blog here when I once again googled Moninet's name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, thank you for your comment and letting me know that there're audience for my blog - you give me motivation to start blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just bought one today :) i love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking to buy another one with original COA

      Delete
  4. I bought this beautiful William Moninet painting at a thrift store years ago. It is letter size in a thick wooden frame. They had it on a high shelf and I thought it was a picture but the frame was worth the $25. price tag. Imagine my surprise when I realized it was an oil painting. I wish it were possible to post a picture of it but the clowns are very similar to the ones in your portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just put one up on Ebay, hate to part with it but my wife is creeped out by it. I love it. I didn't know who the artist was so listed it as "Framed circus clown painting" - since found other works by Moninet. I need a man cave to put them in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one of Moninets clown painting. It is a single clown which for some reason there are very few he painted of just one clown. Would live to know it's value.

    ReplyDelete